Thursday, May 03, 2007

Best of British

In Britain, you can go to the doctor's for free, but you've got to register and prove you're a contributing member of society. I attempted this a few weeks back, and the conversation went something like this:

Me: Hi, I'd like to register with you, I don't know what sort of paperwork I need for proof of address...

Receptionist: Tenancy agreement, your name on a gas bill...

Me: Um, I don't have anything like that, I'm just flatting with other people. I'll show you what I do have, a payslip with my address on it.

R: Do you have any photo ID?

Me: Ah, not on me, no, I can come back if you'd need that with my passport.

R: What nationality are you?

Me: I'm British, well, I mean I'm a British citizen, but I'm from New Zealand.

R: Ah, so what's your purpose for being here?

Me: My purpose?

R: Holiday, study...?

Me: No, I'm living here and working [hence the payslip retard].

R: Well, I'd need to see some proof of entitlement. Like your work visa.

Me: No, I don't have a work visa, I'm a British citizen.

R: I don't understand. Why do you keep saying you're a British citizen?

Me: .........

Got there in the end though!

Talking of getting there in the end, after much hassles and interventions from Mumsie, I've finally got a start date for France - Monday week, je serai en France! C'est tres bon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feed the Comment Monster! Rawrrrr